The Federation’s mission is to enrich Jewish living through connection, education, and compassion. The Federation coordinates and supports the efforts of a diverse number of organizations and synagogues as well as offers a wide range of programs and services that address the needs of the Jewish community, both in the United States and abroad. The leadership
includes a Board of Directors and professional staff who guide the organization, oversee initiatives, and ensure that fiscal responsibilities are upheld.
The Federation is at the core of the Greater Des Moines community, which includes cities in Central Iowa. The diverse efforts of individual organizations are coordinated, while central fundraising is budgeted and allocated to fund priority community needs. The heart of the mission is to serve the local and world Jewish community’s diverse needs and interests.
Gan Shalom: The Jewish Center for Early Childhood Development opened in September, 2013. The facility is licensed for 50 children and the program is growing. This year-round, full-time position oversees and supervises the Gan Shalom weekday preschool and summer program for ages 2 – 5. The ideal candidate will provide leadership and direction for a growing program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to all licensing regulations required by the Department of Human Services
- Maintain a safe, secure, fun, and educationally-sound environment
- Develop marketing and enrollment materials to ensure the facility operates near licensing capacity
- Provide promotional opportunities for parents to become acquainted with the program through center tours, open houses and participation in the Federation programs
- Work with the Director of Education, Parent Advisory Committee and area clergy to address specific requests and challenges related to curriculum, Judaic programming, kashrut and other issues
- Adhere to the strictest level of confidentiality in all matters related to children and their families
- Recruit qualified staff and maintain staff to children ratio requirements
- Train teaching team, providing regular feedback on performance and support for development
- Work with staff to offer children a developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Manage scheduling of teachers, van transportation, meals, Shabbat program, and other special activities
- Work with Director to adhere to Kosher Kitchen guidelines, providing fresh and Kosher snacks/meals
- Keep parents informed through regular communications, utilizing website blog, email newsletter, and other communications
- Contribute to e-news and the Jewish Press to promote the school and create community support
- Work with Director of Education to develop and manage the annual budget
- Recommends a competitive tuition schedule that ensures a positive budget (taking into consideration the Federation’s scholarship commitment)
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- B.A./B.S. degree in Education or related field required
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development or related field preferred
- 5+ years working with young children
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with keen attention to details
- Knowledge of Jewish life, traditions and culture and the ability to impart Judaism appropriately in a pluralistic early childhood setting
- Knowledge of Creative Curriculum preferred
- Computer literate
- Fiscal management skills
More information about this position can be found here. To apply, email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter.