The Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines’s (“the Federation”) Executive Director is ultimately accountable for the successful achievement of the Federation’s vision and mission. Reporting to the Board of Directors, this person is responsible for the development, supervision, and administration of all aspects of the operating and capital budgets of the Federation. The Executive Director has the authority and overall responsibility for fundraising, for developing new leadership, and for the proper management of all personnel and operations including all processes, systems, and procedures of the Federation and staff. The Executive Director of the Federation also serves as the Executive Director of the Des Moines Jewish Foundation with responsibilities akin to those of the Federation. Given this, the Executive Director is significantly involved with most Foundation solicitation. The ideal candidate will have conceptual, strategic, and tactical ability, and, be able to work on multiple projects. This leader will be a visible, involved member of the community. Above all, this person will have a true passion for the Federation’s mission with the strategic, analytical thinking, and team-building skills necessary to lead into a strong future and address the needs of the local and world Jewish community.
- FUND DEVELOPMENT: Initiates and executes fresh, strategic fundraising plans.
- Identifies strategies and contributors for Jewish Tzedakah and cultivation of Campaign volunteers;
- Provides guidance and support to the Board and Campaign Committees for resource identification and development in support of the Federation;
- Communicates, promotes and strengthens Board and committee understanding about local, national, and global needs to be met through the Campaign funds;
- Takes responsibility for the staffing of the Foundation, supervising the accounting, maintaining the by-laws, tax status, grants and Board activities related to Foundation campaigns and solicitations; and
- Develops awareness of the Foundation as one of the primary priorities of the Jewish community.
- STRATEGIC PLANNING: Oversees all central planning efforts of the Federation.
- Develops and updates strategic and long term plans identifying changes that are likely to occur in the community and prepares the Federation to meet the challenges and opportunities of change;
- Provides leadership in the planning process to determine the future social, cultural and educational needs of the Jewish community as well as the financial resources that will be necessary to meet those needs;
- Identifies trends impacting the health and sustainability of the Federation and takes appropriate action to address any issues;
- Maintains and manages the Federation budget, along with regular and routine reporting to the Board on the results and status of those activities; and
- Create a young leadership program.
- GOVERNANCE: Serves as the liaison between the Board and the committees to fulfill and exceed the requirements and directives of the Board.
- Acts as primary liaison and contact with the committees and affiliates of the Federation; attends the majority of committee and appropriate sub-committee meetings;
- Actively informs the Board about the available resources to, and the financial status of, the Federation as well as financial trends, potential problems, and opportunities that may affect financial status;
- Oversees leadership-training opportunities for volunteers to become more knowledgeable about, and skillful in, serving the Federation and the community, as well as to assure continuity in leadership; and
- Assists Board officers and committee chairs in the identification and selection of individuals for specific service as officers, Board, and committee volunteers.
- OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT: Oversees the performance of all staff and work output of the Federation to include employment, performance, evaluation, separation, and all other related personnel activity, in consultation with the Executive Committee and in accordance with the Federation’s bylaws.
- Defines position duties and responsibilities for all employees of the Federation;
- Delegates direct supervisory authority and responsibility as appropriate; and
- Keeps the staff informed of Board actions that affect personnel policies and/or practices and job descriptions.
- COMMUNITY OUTREACH: Works cooperatively with the rabbis, congregational leadership, and others involved with the welfare of the Jewish community.
- Fosters communication and relationships in the Jewish community and advances understanding of Federation activities and Jewish community service in the general community;
- Develops strong relationships on behalf of the Federation with regional, national, and global agencies that are involved in Jewish community services and Israel advocacy; and
- Collaborates with· people and organizations working toward the welfare of the general greater Des Moines community, including other voluntary health, welfare, educational, religious, and cultural organizations, general community central organizations and central community planning bodies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Deep understanding of the values held by the Federation and the Jewish community.
- Commitment to enrich and improve the quality of Jewish life in Des Moines, in Israel, and around the world.
- Minimum of three years of experience successfully leading others.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Exemplary interpersonal, oral, relationship, and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of organizational management and governance.
- Demonstrated track record of significant impact on a program or entity.
- Ability to organize an effective young leadership program.
More information about the Federation and its Executive Director position can be found here
To apply, email Michael Wolnerman and Hannah Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with a resume and cover letter
Engman Camp Shalom Counselor
Want to make memories that will last a lifetime with staff and campers alike? Consider joining our Engman Camp Shalom Counselor team for the 2019 summer. All those who apply should be ready for 10 full weeks of fun, smiles and lots of adventures.