Did you know that the Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines has run a summer camp for more than 70 years? The long legacy of Engman Camp Shalom wouldn’t be possible without the Federation or the support of the Larry and Suzanne Engman Fund.
With this amount of experience also comes an understanding of how to operate a camp that offers a caring, enriching and safe environment for your child. We’re proud to be accredited through the American Camp Association, a distinction and seal-of-approval that parents can trust.
Whether they attend for one week or the whole summer, we strive to provide the following opportunities for your child:
- Quality programs where children experience personal and social growth
- Increase individual skills through a variety of activities
- Become cooperative and interactive with fellow campers
- Meet and make friends with children of various backgrounds and faiths
- Learn to accept responsibility for personal and group actions
- A camping environment in which Jewish activities and recreation are combine
Learn more about our camp schedule and daily activities to see how your child can thrive at Engman Camp Shalom.
The camp is located in Waukee at Caspe Terrace, the sprawling 46-acre campus that’s home to the Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines. Just 15 minutes from central Des Moines, Caspe Terrace offers ample outdoor and indoor spaces that encourage learning and play, including a world-class playground, library and the perfect hill for our waterslide!
In addition to three primary staff, summer camp counselors are an important part of your child’s experience. We hope you’ll join us at the annual kick-off meeting to meet this year’s counselors! We also welcome teenagers to assist at Engman Camp Shalom through the Madrichim program. If you have a teen that might be interested, contact Anna at 515.419.1269 for more details or apply online.
For general camp inquiries, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.