We look forward to seeing your child at Engman Camp Shalom this year. Each week of camp is an opportunity to learn and grow, and campers will return home each day with plenty of stories to share. With any luck, they’ll also be ready for bed!
When you register your child for camp, you receive a Parent Handbook full of helpful information about our camp dress code, safety, general rules and more. To request a new copy of the handbook or for additional questions about camp, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
As you plan for camp, here are some reminders and details especially for parents.
We offer before and after care for campers at our Caspe Terrace facility. Before care begins at 7:30 am and after care is available until 5:30 pm. The cost is $25/week for either option or $50/week for both before and after care. For unplanned extended care, the drop-in rate is $10/hour. Be sure to include your before or after care needs during registration.
To help transport your child to our Waukee location, daily transportation services are available from Tifereth Israel Synagogue. Campers are picked up at 8:40 a.m. and returned at 4:15 pm. The total cost for a week of transportation is $15 one-way or $25 roundtrip.
Camp Packing List
Your camper should bring the following items to camp with their names clearly marked:
- Water Bottle—Hydration is one of the most important parts of keeping campers happy and safe. We bring these with us everywhere, and there are many opportunities to refill throughout the day.
- Lunch—This is now included in weekly prices. Hot lunch is provided daily for all ECS campers. Our meals follow Jewish dietary laws. Menus will be sent to parents each week.
- Backpack or Tote Bag—Each camper will have an open locker, but a backpack will help to contain the items during transport and the rest of the day.
- Hats and Sunglasses—Not required, but strongly suggested. Campers spend a lot of time out in the sun and these items help protect them.
- Sunblock—SPF 45 is advised. Please come to camp wearing sunblock in the morning. Counselors will assist in reapplication throughout the day.
- Swimsuit and Towel—Even on days that we do not go to the aquatic center or swim lessons, we frequently play outside with our water slide and have various water games.
- Insect Repellent—Please apply insect repellent before camp and have a supply in their bag for reapplication when necessary.
- Camp Shirt (Tuesdays). For safety and easy identification, the 2020 official camp T-shirt must be worn on Tuesdays for field trips.
For additional questions or information, don’t hesitate to reach out to the camp team at email@example.com or by calling 515-987-0899.